To many homeowners, few things create as much pride as a perfectly maintained, well-cut lawn. To get that crisp look, you want to have one of the best push mowers on the market for your particular needs. Whether it's just for edging and tough to mow spots your rider can't hit well, or you are doing your whole lawn with it, a push mower is an essential tool.
For all of us, spending the time necessary on lawn maintenance can be easier with good equipment. In order to pick the right mower, there's a lot that you need to consider on top of your budget. The size of your lawn, the type of grass growing in it, and the terrain that your home sits on all come into play. You know you love your lawn, and for good reason -- it raises your home value, and just looks sharp! To care for it in the best way possible, the machine you choose really matters.
All About Push Mowers
When looking at the best push mowers, customers come across many questions. For guidance, here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Types Of Push Mowers
While they differ from riding lawn mowers in their operation, there are several subcategories of the best push mowers. Each version carries its own perks and differences.
Gas Push Mower
A significant difference in each type of push mower is its power source. Gas push mowers have been around for a long time, and so they offer a dependable option for your yard. Ideal for smaller to medium yards up to a half-acre in size, gas mowers work with fuel in the gas tank. When filled, gas mowers can get through most yards without refueling.
Most gas mowers operate with a pull start. While easy to use, a pull start also requires some arm strength so it may not be ideal for less capable owners. When fueling a gas mower, follow the manufacturer’s requirements, so you do not damage the machine.
Electric Push Mower
As time goes on, so does the technology associated with lawn maintenance. Thus, many of the best push mowers come with an electric start. This type of mower starts with the push of a button and generally runs cleaner and quieter than the gas variety.
There are two varieties of the electric push mower: those with and without cords. Push mowers with a cord do not require charging, but when using them, you are limited to the space that you can cover, so it makes them ideal for smaller yards. Push mowers without a chord can cover more ground, but they need charging between each use.
Self-Propelled Push Mowers
If you have a yard that is over a half acre in size, then the best push mowers for you may be self-propelled. As the name suggests, these mowers still need human interaction, but they do most of the heavy lifting themselves. This attribute makes them ideal for hilly terrain.
Self-propelled push mowers are available in full-wheel, rear-wheel, and all-wheel drive varieties. Front-wheel drive mowers are perfectly suitable for flat terrain. If you have a lot of hills to contend with, then the rear-wheel drive is best. All-wheel drive mowers can handle a combination of both.
A reel mower is the best push mower for those who prefer a manual option that does not require fuel, batteries, or power cords. The reel mower works by incorporating a rotating set of knives that spin against the fixed blades of grass. Reel motors are ideal for shorter grass, and they provide a cleaner cut in these conditions. However, the blades only move as fast as the person pushing it, so more physical power is needed from the operator, making them ideal for smaller yards.
What Should I Consider In The Best Push Mower?
Among the four major categories of push mowers, there is much to decipher when trying to find the best push mower for your particular needs. Here are some considerations to keep in mind.
When purchasing the best push mower, you want to consider your mowing habits. If you like to take your time perfecting every blade of grass and you have a smaller yard, then a gas or reel mower may work for you. If you wish to speed up the process, then a self-propelled mower with variable speed will work.
Everyone walks at a different pace. Variable speed mowers let you select the speed at which you want your mower to operate. You are still in control of the mower, but the machine is doing most of the work. Variable speed is also key for safety as you do not want to lose control of the mower at any time.
The best push mowers you can buy will usually come with a height adjustment option for the blades. The ideal height for your grass differs based on the species, but keeping grass at the proper height reduces your chance of weeds, insects, and drought.
Grass Clipping Collection
A good portion of the best push mowers have the option of either a bagging or mulching system for grass clippings. A mulcher scatters the cut grass clippings back onto the yard as you mow the lawn. Many argue that mulching helps your grass because the expended clippings break down during the week, releasing potassium, nitrogen, and phosphorus into the grass and soil which makes for a more vibrant yard.
If you have no interest in mulching, then get a mower with a bagging system. As you cut the grass, the clippings remain in a bag for you to dispose of later. Some argue that the best push mowers use this method and give your yard an immediately clean look.
How Do You Maintain A Push Mower?
Don’t be afraid to spend a few extra bucks on the best push mowers because a high-quality mower can last a lifetime, especially if properly maintained.
If you have a gas powered motor, be sure to check the oil and fuel levels before you start. Running an engine without oil is a quick way of destroying it. After you are done cutting the yard, take a few minutes to clean all debris and dirt out of the grass catcher. Also, be careful not to run over any rocks or large objects as they will dull the blades.
Conduct maintenance on your mower on a regular basis including checks for loose fasteners and belts. Make sure all of the wheels are rotating correctly. Consult the user manual and replace any worn or damaged parts. Leaving one damaged component unattended could impact other engine elements.
How We Reviewed
To rank the best push mowers, we carefully examined the product claims and checked the results of users who tested each of these brands. Our carefully vetted findings are in this “best of” list.
Overall Price Range Of Push Mowers
The price range of the best push mowers for you will depend on whether you are buying a gas, electric, reel, or self-propelled model as each involves its own form of technology.
Our Best Push Mower List
After concluding our research of the best push mowers on the market, we were able to narrow it down to these finalists in no particular order. These are brands recommended for healthy yards that any homeowner will be proud to call their own.
Also one of the best push mowers, Honda’s Versamow yard warrior is a rear wheel drive grass cutting machine that features seven cutting levels and a powerful engine. Most noteworthy is its mulching system which also receives high marks.
Pros And Cons
As one of the best push mowers, the Toro Recycler has it all, from variable self-propelled speed to a vast 22-inch cutting deck. Also, front wheel drive operation makes this mower easy to push and maneuver.
Pros And Cons
- Briggs & Stratton 850 Professional Series engine with ready start starting system no priming, no choking. Just pull and go
- 21 Inch 14 gauge Steel mowing deck
- Hi VAC deck efficiently cuts and sucks up grass clippings for a clean finish similar to a vacuum with the unique blade and Rolled deck edge that generates a large volume of air and creates suction
- 3 n 1 capability side discharge, bag or mulch; Engine Displacement: 190 CC
- Easily change the height of cut with the easy to use adjustment handles (7 height of cut adjustments from 1.25 Inch to 4 inch)
The self-propelled push mower from Snapper is also one of the best push mowers that also happens to be a front wheel drive grass cutting machine. It comes equipped with a mulch plug, a high-performance engine, and because of an ideal height adjustment system, it's one of the best push mowers for hilly yards.
Pros And Cons
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
This gas powered option from Honda is one of the best push mower options on the market. It offers the option for bagging or mulching. It comes with a powerful GCV160 engine, and it also incorporates twin blades which provide superior cutting quality.
Pros And Cons
- Briggs and Stratton Silver Series 5-torque - 140cc engine
- 21-inch cutting width, low 7-inch front wheels, high 11-inch rear wheels
- 3-in-1 cutting methods (side discharge, mulch, or bag clippings into rear bag)
- Dual-point deck height adjusters with six positions for quick height adjustments
- Reliable spark plug
Craftsman provides an affordable model with a powerful engine with their 37430 model. Another one of the best push mowers, the blades on this machine provide a 21-inch cutting width paired with a reliable spark plug, along with a 3-in-1 cutting method that allows for mulch, side discharge, or bagging.
Pros And Cons
- 21-inch, gas-powered push lawn mower with 160cc Honda GVC160 engine, ideal for smaller yards
- 3-in-1 cutting system--mulch, rear bag, and side discharge
- 12-inch rear wheels increase maneuverability over a variety of terrain
- Adjustable handle for ergonomic operation; folds for storage
- 7021P is compliant for the state of California
Another of the best push mowers on the market, the Husqvarna 7021P is also a gas-powered machine with large wheels for added traction. Most noteworthy is its robust 4-cycle engine.
Pros And Cons
- POWERFUL: 13-amp motor cuts a 14-inch wide path
- Adjustable deck: tailor cutting Height with 3-position Height control
- STEEL BLADES: Durable 14-Inch steel blade cuts with precision
- Accessories: includes 10. 6-Gal bag
- We've got you covered! : your new lawn mower is backed by the snow Joe + Sun Joe customer promise. We will warrant New, powered products for two years from the date of purchase. No questions asked. Contact snow Joe + Sun Joe customer Support at 1-866-766-9563 for further assistance.
Those looking for a corded option will enjoy this 12-amp mower from Sun Joe. It is the best push mower with a cord because it is an affordable option that is also safe for the environment. As a result of the three hight positions, it is ideal for your specific yard.
Pros And Cons
- Durable 20-Inch Steel Deck
- Powerful 12 Amp Motor
- 3-In-1 (Mulching, Side Discharge, and Rear Bag)
- 7-position height adjustment offers a range of cutting height from 1-1/2 to 3-3/4 inches for all grass types
- Push Button Start. Drive system: manual
Another of the best push mowers, this Greenworks option has a durable 20-inch steel deck, push-button start, and seven-layer height adjustment. As many of the best push mowers have, this machine also includes a 4-year warranty.
Pros And Cons
The Ego is one of the best push mowers in the realm of self-propelled machines. It is a piece of cake to handle, and it is also very quiet. Most noteworthy is its 56-volt ion battery which takes just one hour to charge.
Pros And Cons
- The smart design of our eco-friendly reel mower offers a cleaner cut without the hassles of gasoline, oil, battery charging, electrical cords or loud engine noise
- A combination of advanced technologies make the StaySharp Max Reel Mower 60% easier to push than other reel mowers
- Patent-pending InertiaDrive Reel delivers twice the cutting power to blast through twigs, weeds and tough spots that would jam other reel mowers
- Exclusive StaySharp Cutting System uses precision-ground, hardened steel blades to cut grass without touching, greatly reducing friction and blade wear for long-lasting performance without costly annual blade sharpening
- Limited three-year warranty Amazon,
This reel mower from Fiskars is one of the best push mowers for a smaller yard because of the18-inch blades which enable it to cut through almost any type of grass. It also has a reversible grass chute for removal of grass clippings.
Pros And Cons
All of the options listed above are some of the best push mowers on the market. However, after reviewing the benefits and shortcomings, we find that Craftsman 37430 is the best push mower with the best benefits for a great price.
Above all, this is the best push mower because it also provides a powerful engine with wide-reaching blades and, most noteworthy, its easy handling which makes yard work a snap.
Although we pick this mower as our favorite, keep in mind that buyers should do their research to make sure that they are purchasing the best mower for their particular yard and grass type. There is no wrong answer when it comes to choosing one of these push mowers. It is about the right option for you and your beautiful lawn.
Do any of you own one of these great brands? If so, what do you like best about it? Tell us your favorite in the comments.